March 8, 2010

Lightly Does It

Last week I paid a visit to the Life In Style trade show at Fox Studios. As I entered the doors I was immediately pick up and blown away by all of the wonderful products standing before me. I felt like a kid in a candy store - pretty much wanting to purchase everything I laid my eyes on!

The 'Lightly' stand was one of many that stood out for me. I have always been a fan of their homewares but on this particular evening, I was fortunate to have met the very talented designer behind this Melbourne based design house - Cindy-Lee Davies.

The company was first launched in 2005, taking inspiration from 'nostalgia and domesticity'. With each piece Davies tries to 'evoke the romance of time gone by', creating something that is unique, each with their own story to tell.

As a tribute to her grandmother, Rosemary Estelle Lightly, Davies named the company after her, and what I find so sweet, is that her lace collection comprises of 4 patterns named Tia, Sophia, Rosie and Lovey, who were all named after her grandmothers bridge playing friends. Too cute!

On the night Cindy-Lee took us through some of her new pieces - each challenging the limits of different materials. My favourite would have to have been the lights but I do always enjoy those pretty little butterfly plates that seem to adorn walls in every second shop and residential photo-shoot I see.

We also discussed her recent find in China which involved pallets upon pallets of fine bone china plates that were going into landfill. She is currently rescuing them and plans to continue her range of butterfly, bird and clock plates with some of them perhaps finding their way into Anthropologie in the U.S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment