July 15, 2010

Just what the doctor ordered

A friend of mine was travelling through Singapore last week and told me about this interesting nightclub he came across. It's called 'The Clinic' and as the name suggests, the interior is modeled closely to that of a hospital. Designed by Damien Hirst, the space spares no expense to make visitors feel as though they are really in some sort of medical institution.

After hearing my friends description of the place, my curiosity caused me to check out some images on the net and I tell you what, as morbid as the concept is, I kinda like the thought process behind the design.

Crisp whites, juxtaposed with stainless steel operating tables, drips, test tubes and jars of colourful pills all reflect the pop art style of Damien Hirst. As a man who dabbles in all things creative, from film to painting to architecture, his aim has always been to provoke thought.

I would love to push this look beyond the nightclub scene and into a home environment. I think that the theme would better suit a younger demographic who love to entertain. Below, I have sourced a few pieces from Space that I think suit the theme without being too literal. It's important to remember that you will be living in this space rather than visiting it occasionally so the look would need to be softened with the correct lighting, a slight burst of colour and timber work for warmth and a greater use of soft furnishings.



No comments:

Post a Comment